I’m LDS, so why do I run on Sunday?

I’m LDS, so why do I run on Sunday?

LDS Runner

Living in Provo, Utah and being LDS myself, I’ve gotten the questioning eyebrow, the condemning look over, and even the blunt questions when I walk outside in my running shorts. And yet, I continue to lace up and hit the trails on some Sundays.

Running has always been a passion of mine; and while the physical benefits are an awesome plus, I’d say they only equate to 40% of why I run. The other 60% is mental health. I run when I’m stressed, when I’m sad, and even when I’m happy because it brings me even higher. Something I’ve learned is that running gives me time to think about myself, my life, and where I’m going next. And sometimes…Sundays are the best time to do just that.


The night before I like to download LDS general conference talks to my phone, then the next morning, I plug in, and I go. I can listen to 6 of those talks on my run before even batting an eye. Some mornings it is as much as 8 and 10 talks.


By the time I’m done running I’ve contemplated the words of the prophets and considered their place in my life. And I always finish happier and better off than before.

I don’t replace church with my runs, its an addition to my day. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t by any means mean to state that others should start running on their Sunday mornings too; I merely mean to help others understand why it works for me, and why, no matter how many times I am asked, no matter how many strange looks I get, I will continue to do what I feel is a good thing for me.